Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I change proxy/firewall settings to allow Microsoft updates? What is a proxy?

I know I sound daft, but I just switched Windows security centre back on, after trailing through YA to see how, and I tried to update the services by clicking on the link provided.

Recieved an error stating 0x80072ee2 or 0x80072efd.

Microsoft resolution states :

1. A misconfigured Proxy/Firewall can cause this prob. Check the proxy/firewall settings, and add the following urls to the exception list within your firewall/proxy:

http://*.update.microsoft.com

there are also two others to add.

How do i do this?

Please help, I am a novice with all the technical stuff.

Many thanks.How do I change proxy/firewall settings to allow Microsoft updates? What is a proxy?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941



a proxy is simply a server placed between a user's machine and the Internet. It can act as a firewall to provide protection and as a cache area to speed up Web page display.How do I change proxy/firewall settings to allow Microsoft updates? What is a proxy?
Open the firewall on your computer, go to Program Settings (or some similar name) and put the given URLs in the Allowed list. You needn't worry for proxies, as you are most certainly not using one.



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment