Tuesday, November 16, 2010

VPN Problems - Hostname + Firewall problems - Using Linksys VPN Router with DSL - Please help!?

I have setup a Linksys VPN router at my office connected to a DSL modem (Bellsouth). My router has a static IP, and I want to get onto my office network from home using VPN. My office PC's are on a workgroup.



When I try to connect from home, using the Linksys VPN Client software, it seems to connect, but doesn't go any further after it says it is connecting to the network. when I look on my router interface, it shows me as logged into VPN. I was able to see my office LAN pc shared folders, but had to use ip addresses - host names wouldn't work?

Also, I had to disable my Mcafee firewall on the office computer I was trying to view shared folder's on in order to even ping it.



My guess is I need to change some firewall settings to prevent it from blocking VPN clients... I also need to somehow map ip my host names to ip addresses over vpn...

How do I do this?VPN Problems - Hostname + Firewall problems - Using Linksys VPN Router with DSL - Please help!?
Since you could get to the computers in the office by IP address it seems your VPN connection is working and you can get through. Changing the firewall settings to allow for pinging is not a good thing as it opens up the computer/firewall for a large volume of ping traffic if someone is so inclined. Thus denying the office outbound traffic bandwidth.



While in the office I presume you can access other computers by name. This is done through 1 of 3 options, WINS, DNS or LMHOST. IF it is WINS or DNS then you need to modify the LINKSYS VPN connection to provide remote computers access to the WINS/DNS server. IF it is LMHOST then you need to take a copy of that file home and add it to your computer at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment