Saturday, November 13, 2010

How do we change firewall settings? can someone please tell me in detail?

whenever i sign in to msn it doesn't sign in and says that my firewall setting does not support it and that I should change my settings. but I don't know how can someone please tell me step by step.How do we change firewall settings? can someone please tell me in detail?
Start -%26gt; Run

Type Control Panel

There should be Firewall open it u will see ON - OFF

do it OFF then APPLYHow do we change firewall settings? can someone please tell me in detail?
First identify what firewall you are using. Try the homepage for whatever company makes it, and if you can't find it there, then post again here letting us know what you are using.
we need to know what type of firewall, is it a real firewall which is a big box like a router or switch, that you will need your system Admin to do. Or is it windows firewall? which you can just go to and turn off in your computers controll panel
We need more info, is this relative to the firewall integrated into the OS? I assume not hence its Microsoft msn so its probably your antvirus. eg lets say you have Norton or avg look for the icon on the bottom right hand corner right click on it and find advanced settings look for firewall options and set it to low. or if you can just add msn to the exceptions list.
go to tools, internet options and you can change setting theirs
do u mean windows firewall or u use another firewall?



control panel, windows firewall, exception then make sure windows mesenger is checked..



if that didnt help, his solution should work for most firewalls, provided the access is not restricted by domain name, and access to regedit is possible.



Click on Start --%26gt; Run

Type in ';regedit'; and then click OK (without the '; )



Navigate through the registry editor to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\M鈥?br>


Select the ';Server'; key, Right click, and select ';Modify';



Change the value data to:

gateway.messenger.hotmail.com:80



This will connect MSN on port 80, the http port, is working perfectly for me behind a draconian ISP firewall.



Enjoy...



Just an addendum...



I discovered this after about a month of trying to get MSN to work at my office here, where port 1863 is blocked.



I had tried all sorts of cumbersome alternatives such as SSH tunnels, proxy clients and servers, some of the ';web-based'; versions (which are all extremely difficult to operate, and very unreliable), even using VNC sessions to my home machine.



This simple fix has saved all of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment