Saturday, November 13, 2010

How do I set my firewall in XP to allow my home network?

If I turn the firewall off, I can share files and printers. I see in OneCare (my antivirus sorftware) that I can change firewall settings. Do I have to change or add something in 'ports and protocols'? As soon as I set the firewall back to 'Auto' I can no longer see the network.How do I set my firewall in XP to allow my home network?
Write down the settings you have now before you change anything + the subsequent changes for reference if you need to roll back to them. Try making changes 1 at a time + then combos of them if that doesn't work. Make sure to reboot PC + Firewall between changes, then test that config.



--Make sure all PCs sharing resources are using the same Workgroup

--Make sure Windows Firewall is set to OFF if you are using another one

--Protocol should be TCP/IP, and Ports should already be preconfigged for the most common; you should not have to change these

--Make sure LAN subnet (192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100)range is open. These are the PCs on your network. They should be able to interact with each other and the Firewall.How do I set my firewall in XP to allow my home network?
Thanks. I am glad it was a great answer. I hope it solved your problem!

Report Abuse


Go to control panel. You will see firewall function. Go there and change what you want to.
The firewall shouldn't block your network. Did you make sure to click the ';turn on file and printer sharing'; button when you set up your network?

Go in to the control panel and run the Network setup wizard again and make sure that button is checked when you finish and check the network again. Make sure the firewall is on when you run the wizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment